These instructions are for the Motorola HD DVR DTC6412 and the Comcast On Demand Remote (Comcast URC-106XXXXX Silver Remote).
This tip was found at Wikibooks and is a great resource about the Motorola DVR. You will find the following tip, as well as a plethora of other information there.
The following technique can be used to map an unused or unneeded button on the “silver” remote to the 30-second skip command. Current versions of the i-Guide software will skip forward 30 seconds into a recording when this command is sent. A good choice is the ‘A / Lock’ button since many users don’t need that function; you can feel both the ’15-second-back’ and ’30-second-skip’ buttons with one finger and move between them without looking. Another option is to reprogram the ’15-second back’ button, since PgDn already provides that functionality.
- Press the “Cable” button at the top of the remote to put it into Cable Box control mode.
- Press and hold the “Setup” button until the “Cable” button blinks twice.
- Type in the code 994. The “Cable” button will blink twice.
- Press (do not hold) the “Setup” button.
- Type in the code 00173.
- Press whatever button you want to map the 30-second skip command to (ex: A / Lock). The “Cable” button will blink twice if successful.
Note: This does not work on boxes with the Microsoft TV Foundation Interface (currently Washington State). As of firmware version 12.22 Insight Cable has disabled this feature. Comcast software Version 73.44 disabled this feature, but the latest software, Version 74.53-3321, re-enables it (this has been confirmed on the 3416 w/ 16.20 firmware).